Josh, our Executive Head Chef, has been plying our teams with healthy lunch recipes to get us through lock down so we thought we’d share a few. This one has more ingredients than some of the other recipes that we have posted but is definitely worth it if you are prepared to give it a go. It serves 4 so if there is less of you in the house either eat it on multiple days or cut down the ingredients accordingly – or, even better, make some extra a give it to your neighbours who may need it!
Ingredients for Salad:
- 250g broccoli
- 2 tsp rapeseed oil
- 3 skinless chicken breasts
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 100g bag watercress
- 2 raw beetroots (about 175g), peeled and julienned or grated
- 1 tsp nigella seeds
Ingredients for Avocado Pesto:
- small pack basil
- 1 avocado
- ½ a garlic clove, crushed
- 25g walnut halves, crumbled
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, add the broccoli and cook for 2 mins. Drain, then refresh under cold water.
- Heat a griddle or frying pan, toss the broccoli in 1⁄2 tsp of the rapeseed oil and griddle for 2-3 mins, turning, until a little charred. Set aside to cool.
- Brush the chicken with the remaining oil and season with salt and pepper. Leave to cool, then slice or shred into chunky pieces.
- Pick the leaves from the basil and set aside a handful to top the salad.
- Put the rest in the small bowl of a food processor.
- Scoop the flesh from the avocado and add to the food processor with the garlic, walnuts, oil, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 2-3 tbsp cold water and some seasoning.
- Blitz until smooth, then transfer to a small serving dish.
Combing & Plating:
- Pour the remaining lemon juice over the sliced onions and leave for a few mins.
- Pile the watercress onto a large platter.
- Toss through the broccoli and onion, along with the lemon juice they were soaked in.
- Top with the beetroot, but don’t mix it in, and the chicken.
- Scatter over the reserved basil leaves, the lemon zest and nigella seeds, then serve with the avocado pesto.