This gorgeous vegan recipe has been designed by our Executive Head Chef, Josh Stanton, to serve four people.
- 165g Carrots (we used purple and orange ones), peeled, halved and cut into short batons on an angle
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 50g Mixed Basmati & Wild Rice
- 25g Puy Lentils
- 1 Orange
- 1 Large Fennel Bulb, quartered, core removed, thinly sliced
- 1 Red Onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 100g Pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 Large Handful of Parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 Large Handful of Mint, roughly chopped
For the dressing:
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- zest and juice 1 Lemon
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Maple Syrup
- 1 Large Cauliflower Head
- 3-4 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1-2 Teaspoons of Chipotle Powder (or Cajun Spice)
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 Lime
- Chopped Coriander
Making the Salad:
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Put the carrots on a baking tray and add oil and seasoning to taste, mixing well. Cook for 25-30 mins until tender.
- While the carrots cook, fill 2 large pans with salted water and bring to the boil. Add the rice to one pan and the lentils to the other. Cook following pack instructions. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Zest the orange over a large bowl. Segment the orange making sure to chat all the juices in the bowl (Not sure how to segment an orange? See below a helpful video from our chefs)
5. Add the ingredients for the dressing to the orange zest and juice, season, mix and set aside.
Making the Cauliflower:
- Whilst the carrots, rice and lentils are cooking, line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Turn the cauliflower on its side and slice off the very end of the stem; making sure to leave the core intact.
- Place the cauliflower on a cutting board with the floret side up and use a sharp knife to slice it into 1-inch thick slices. If your slices fall apart, it is okay!
- Transfer the cauliflower to your prepared baking sheet. Arrange it in a single layer.
- In a small bowl, add olive oil, chipotle pepper, salt and pepper. Whisk until combined.
- Brush both sides of cauliflower with chipotle mixture and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cauliflower from the oven and carefully flip the cauliflower. Bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the carrots from the oven and cool slightly. When the carrots have cooled, add to the dressing with the remaining salad ingredients, including the cooked rice, lentils and orange segments. Toss together.
- Serve the salad in the centre of a plate and place the cauliflower steak on top
- Squeeze lime juice and sprinkle chopped coriander over the cauliflower before serving.
Enjoy straight away!